SafetyNow – Supporting Health & Safety Week 2016
As a provider of health and safety training and consultancy, we are keen to show our support for Health & Safety Week taking place between 20-24 June 2016.
We will, of course, be attending the Health & Safety Expo in London to create connections, network with other professionals and see the latest technologies and products. Our very own Moira Gelman will also attend #SHE1000 – a celebration of women working in the management and protection of buildings and people.
Health & Safety Week helps to focus on the achievements of our UK practitioners and encourage pride in our industry, whilst also drawing attention to where improvements are still required.
For example, despite fatal injuries being at their lowest in 20 years, occupational health cases are on the rise.
Occupational health issues include:
- Cancer – from asbestos, silica, shift work, etc;
- Other asbestos-related illnesses;
- Respiratory diseases – lung cancer, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis;
- Noise-induced hearing loss;
- Musculoskeletal disorders;
- Work-related skin disease;
- Mental health; and
- Hand arm vibration.
Health & Safety Statistics*
- 2,535 people died of mesothelioma (asbestos-induced cancer) in 2012 due to past exposure to asbestos.
- More than 1.2 million people are suffering from a work-related illness.
- 142 workers killed at work.
- 27.3 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury.
- £14.3 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2013/14).
For more information on Health & Safety Week click here.